Friday, December 01, 2006

Christmas meme

I found this over at Happy Zombie and Pam Kitty Morning, and I thought their answers were a hoot.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Tough one -- hot chocolate, I suppose, since I love it in all its forms. Eggnog is wonderful, too, but I only like the non-alcoholic, low-fat version. Some people might say that's not really eggnog.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Santa doesn't visit us right now due to the whole no-kids, just-cats thing. When I was a kid, Santa just put the presents under the tree unwrapped. And up in Mom's closet. She would dash back in there at least once each Christmas Day to retrieve a forgotten gift.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Plain white lights for me! My bachelor brother used to have a "disco Christmas tree" at his house, with flashing colorful lights, and it was a little too much for me.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope! We do plenty of kissing already. :-) Plus I would worry about poisoning the cats. They eat enough random stuff around the house already. No poinsettias for me, either.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Early to mid-December. The real question is when I take them down! That, my friends, will remain my little secret. *cough*nearly valentine's day*cough

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding desser?
This year my mother's making Christmas lasagna, citing the "Christmas colors" of the red tomato sauce and green spinach as a reason. Her lasagna's always darn good.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
Probably not the year that I was so overstimulated about Christmas and Santa Claus that I wet my pants at my parents' Christmas Eve party.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
The little neighbor girl across the street shared her suspicions with me, and her mother confirmed for us that Santa is "the spirit of Christmas," not a real guy. I'm still best friends with her despite the disappointment!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
When we're with my family, we open all the gifts from the immediate family on Christmas Eve, and then open gifts with my aunt and cousins on Christmas Day. It's the exact opposite when we spend the holidays with my in-laws.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Most of my ornaments are red and white or straw. It's all very Scandinavian!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it! I'm from Minnesota, I had better love it. I love cool, crisp air, and I love it when the snow sparkles in the sun. I enjoy going for long walks and looking at animal footprints in the snow.

12. Can you ice skate?
But of course. My mom took me to the skating rink right by our house when I was 2 and set me up on double-runner skates. I took figure skating lessons when I was in grade school, too.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
The cozy penguin down throw (blue, of course) that my husband gave me for our first Christmas when we were really poor (and kept the heat down VERY low). Great for snuggling up on the couch!

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Relaxing, spending time with friends and family, and baking up a storm.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
My mother's Swedish kringler bars. Puffy almondy goodness!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Singing Christmas carols, baking, watching the Peanuts Christmas special, going ice-skating

17. What tops your tree?
A straw star. Once again, very Scandinavian.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
Giving! I enjoy Christmas shopping, especially for my mother.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
"The Christmas Song"

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Meh, they're OK. I like them best as ornaments on the tree. I think we'll keep on using the same ones that we've used for the past 4 years. I just make sure no one tries to eat one.

1 comment:

Karin said...

I just might steal that meme....

Question for you--I remembered you're a tea drinker and lately Aaron has become a regular tea drinker as well. I looked through your archives for a tea-related gift idea and I bought him the same mug infuser that you raved about.

Call me a doofus but from the pic on your blog and the pic on Amazon.com, I can't figure out how the darn thing works. Mind explaining?